Monday, August 21, 2006

reading and listening

When I was a babe, reading was my best way to escape hectic day to day. I loved that it was a grown-up activity that I could do all alone and that my baby sisters couldn't yet enjoy. My aunt Ellen and my aunt Diane had a large roll in encouraging me to read and praising me for loving literature as a child and as a grew older. I remember loving Encyclopedia Brown because it was a CHAPTER BOOK, reading all of the boxcarchildren books which led to many days of makebelieve orphanage games and being so proud to read Chronicles of Narnia from my elementary school library because it was coded PURPLE, which was the highest coding and well above my level. My father read me Ramona Quimby books and my mother read me Anne of Green Gables books.
As a pre-teen, reading was my solace. Books that shared the drama of my emotional every day life include: All Louisa May Allcott books, Jane Eyre, and this book about Jeanne D'Arc.
In highschool, I had a lot less time to read than I would have liked, but did have some powerful experiences while reading: Jane Austen books, The Power of One, Doctor Zhivago, The Bell Jar, The Old Man and the Sea, A Movable Feast and poetry+Autobiography of Maya Angelou. In HS, my mother read me both Les Miserables and Hunchback of Notre Dame - She would read a head during the day while I was in school, and then abridge the book for me like this "and then he talks about the sewers in Paris for 5 pages and THEN....". I also spent a long time reading Gone with the Wind, but I can't say that I loved it.
In college, I did not read much for pleasure, because I had a lot of reading to do on my own. I did discover a lot more French classic authors and Francophone authors which I still enjoy. I also received A LOT of comfort by reading One Hundred Years of Solitude while in France.
After college, I thought I would pick reading right back up, but I didn't. Now I am BAAAACK. Here are some of the books/authors that I have read in the past year that I want to share with you:
+David Sedaris ANYTHING... I love this guy.
+Memoirs of a Geisha: This is what started off the new kick. I borrowed the book from KH and couldn't put it down. Historical fiction is still my favorite genre.
+A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Please read. I recently purchased a compilation of short stories by Eggers and the cashier told me "That book is Crazzy". I can't wait!
Everything else I have been reading has just been OK.
Here is what I have in my queue:
+Said Dave Egger's short stories
+Prep lent by KH
+Plain Truth by Jodi Pricoult lent by KS. I have heard very good things about this author.
+House of Sand and Fog from CM. I really loved the movie. CM and I are starting an informal bookclub, how fun!
+Running with Scissors, A memoir by Augusten Burroughs. My hairdresser, Julia W., suggested it to me when she heard that I was a Sedaris freak. Everyone says it is like Sedaris on crack. I don't understand why I thought this book was the autobiography of Sting for 3 years....
Anyways, until I get my bookclub, I don't have anywhere to talk about my old friend literature that I just re-connected with. So I thought I would do it here.

In other news, I went to see Cirque de Soleil on Friday, Corteo. WOW. Also, I am addicted to www.pandora.com, which I learned about from SuperheroJournal blog. If you would like me to email you a radio station that I created, just let me know!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
studies have been conducted recently about my generation as a generation of narcissists...this blog is part of that phenomenon :)